McGrath Backs Pats in Bet with Atlanta
McGrath Makes Patriots Bet with Atlanta
Speedway Motorsports, Inc. CEO Marcus Smith sent an email to the general managers of New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Atlanta Motor Speedway, asking if the two would be making a wager on the big football game on Feb. 5. Naturally, NHMS Executive Vice President and General Manager David McGrath was up to the challenge.
During a phone call Friday morning, McGrath and Atlanta Motor Speedway's President and General Manager Ed Clark put everything from regional food favorites to premium race tickets on the line for title game between the New England Patriots and Atlanta Falcons.
"I mean, come on. Tom Brady? Bill Belichick? Do I need to say anything more? The Patriots have become synonymous with winning championships. It's what they do," said McGrath. "So, if Ed wants some of our famous New England lobster, he's going to have to fly up here to get it because I'm winning this bet - and I can't wait to enjoy some delicious Georgia peach cobbler while we celebrate another New England title."
Here's a breakdown of the wager:
When the Patriots win …
• New England Patriots flag to be hung outside Atlanta Motor Speedway office building the next day and during NASCAR race week Feb. 27-March 5
• While wearing a Patriots jersey, Ed Clark will present David McGrath and the July 16 New Hampshire 301 race winner with Georgia Peaches in victory lane
• Four Patriots and New Hampshire Motor Speedway fans will win premium tickets to the March 5 Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway ($400 value)
If the Patriots (miraculously) lose …
• Atlanta Falcons flag to be hung outside New Hampshire Motor Speedway office building the next day and during NASCAR race week July 10-16
• While wearing a Falcons jersey, David McGrath will present Ed Clark and the March 5 Folds of Honor QuikTrip race winner with New England Lobster in victory lane
• Four Falcons and Atlanta Motor Speedway fans will win premium tickets to the July 16 New Hampshire 301 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway ($500 value)
"We are so proud of our friends at the Atlanta Falcons for making it to the NFL's biggest game of the year, and to David, I say, 'You're on,' said Clark. "We can't wait to watch our team knock off Brady, Belichick and the Patriots to bring their first title home to Georgia. Most of all, I look forward to seeing David wearing a Falcons jersey, lobster in hand, in victory lane here at Atlanta Motor Speedway on March 5."
How to enter to win race tickets:
Fans are encouraged to join in the conversation and support their respective teams on all social media platforms by using the hashtags #NHMSPatriots or #AMSFalcons.
To enter for the chance to win tickets, share a photo or video to Twitter or Instagram in which you show support for your team and use the appropriate hashtag. If your team wins, you'll be eligible to enter into a drawing for tickets to the losing track's race.