Eddie MacDonald of Rowley, MA claimed the American Canadian Tour win in the New Hampshire Governor's Cup 150 at Lee USA Speedway (Lee, NH) on Sunday, April 13. MacDonald used strategy to claim his first career ACT win at Lee in his ninth start at the 3/8ths mile speedway. It was his fifth career ACT Late Model win.
MacDonald went from sixth to first in his heat race to claim the win and the pole in the feature with his +5 in ACT's plus/minus handicap system. MacDonald faded back early from the drop of the green. He fell as far as 10th and appeared to ride for the majority of the event.
Ray Parent got around Ben Lynch on lap four to take over the lead. He was quickly reeled in by Quebec's Stephane Descoste. The two battled with Descoste finally getting the advantage on lap 34. Descoste would hold the lead until the first caution flag flew for a Brian Hoar spin on lap 63. Parent used the outside lane to his advantage and took the lead on the ensuing restart. After another brief caution for a minor spin on lap 71, it looked like the remainder of the race would go caution free as Parent built a sizable lead.
After the 100-lap mark, MacDonald came to life and worked his way back toward the front. He worked his way around Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. and Descoste to get to second but with ten laps to go it didn't look like he had enough time. MacDonald had saved enough tire, however, and with five laps to go he reached Parent's rear bumper while they worked through lap traffic.
MacDonald got the outside lane advantage with four laps remaining as they barreled into turn one. Between turns one and two, Parent got loose and slid up the track into MacDonald. Parent tried to save it but spun for the third and final caution of the event.
On the final restart, MacDonald held off Polewarczyk to take the win. Wayne Helliwell, Jr. completed the podium, while Alex Labbe and Descoste rounded out the top five. Jimmy Hebert came from dead last on the field (30th) to claim sixth, while Ben Ashline came from 24th to finish 7th in his first event back behind the wheel in a year and a half. Ben Lynch, Bobby Therrien and Rowland Robinson, Jr. all finished in the top ten.
The stars of ACT have a weekend off before heading to Thunder Road in Barre, VT for the Merchants Bank 150 on Sunday, April 27. The annual car show will be held in downtown Barre on Saturday, April 26 before an afternoon practice session.
New Hampshire Governor's Cup 150
American Canadian Tour
Lee USA Speedway - Lee, NH
Sunday, April 13, 2014
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (1) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 150 Laps
2. (14) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 150 Laps
3. (7) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
4. (6) Alex Labbe, St-Albert, QC, 150 Laps
5. (3) Stephane Descoste, Oka, QC, 150 Laps
6. (30) Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 150 Laps
7. (24) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 150 Laps
8. (2) Ben Lynch, Huntersville, NC, 150 Laps
9. (10) Bobby Therrien, Hinesburg, VT, 150 Laps
10. (19) Rowland Robinson Jr., Steuben, ME, 150 Laps
11. (15) Travis Fadden, No. Haverhill, NH, 150 Laps
12. (9) Emily Packard, E. Montpelier, VT, 150 Laps
13. (4) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 150 Laps
14. (8) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 150 Laps
15. (17) Aaron Fellows, Croyden, NH, 150 Laps
16. (11) Brian Tagg, Oxford, MA, 150 Laps
17. (20) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 149 Laps
18. (13) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 149 Laps
19. (26) Jonathan Bouvrette, Blainville, QC, 149 Laps
20. (21) Matt Anderson, Franklin, NH, 149 Laps
21. (22) Corey Mason, Groveton, NH, 149 Laps
22. (16) Jeremy Harclerode, Newmarket, NH, 149 Laps
23. (5) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 149 Laps
24. (18) James Linardy, Somerville, MA, 148 Laps
25. (25) Mike Ziter, Williamstown, VT, 147 Laps
26. (28) Lance Allen, Barre, VT, 147 Laps
27. (29) Brandon Lambert, Colebrook, NH, 128 Laps
28. (27) Dave Farrington, Jr., Jay, ME, 124 Laps
29. (12) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 101 Laps
30. (23) Jeff White, Winthrop, ME, 71 Laps
Lap Leaders: Eddie MacDonald, 1; Ben Lynch, 2-3; Ray Parent, 4-33; Stephane Descoste, 34-63; Parent, 64-146; MacDonald, 147-150.
Time of Race: 56:26
Margin of Victory: .984 seconds
Cautions: 3 (laps 63, 71, 146)
Heat Winners: Brian Tagg, Eddie MacDonald, Alex Labbe, Stephane Descoste
Consi Winners: Nick Sweet, Bobby Therrien
B-Feature Winner: Mike Ziter