Helliwell Claims First ACT Win
Wayne Helliwell Jr. of Dover, NH dominated the second half of The Fox 101.5 Spring Green 112 on the way to his first ever American Canadian Tour victory on Sunday May 6, 2012 at Devil’s Bowl Speedway. Helliwell took over the lead on lap 58 and had to fend off a late race attack from Hudson, NH’s Joey Polwarczyk Jr. to take the checkers. Austin Theriault of Fort Kent, ME stormed from the 20th starting position to take over third, Ray Parent and Randy Potter completed the top five.
The race began with weekly competitor Craig Bushey leading the first lap after a +5 in the ACT plus minus system earned him the second starting position. Multi-time Oxford Plains Speedway Champion Ricky Rolfe took over for the next 26 laps before the lead was briefly wrestled away by former Thunder Road Champion Nick Sweet. Sweet only held on to the lead for two laps before Groveton’s Randy Potter took over the point.
Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. stormed from mid-pack to take the lead away from Potter on lap 50, only to have it taken away for good by Helliwell on lap 58. Helliwell started from the third position, but faded as far back as ninth before charging through the field in the second half. Helliwell had to endure a lap 98 restart and a no holds barred assault from Polewarczyk that put the large opening day crowd on its feet to claim his first ACT win and unofficially strip Williston’s Brian Hoar of the point lead.
Hyde Park’s Eric Williams climbed from 22nd on the starting grid to finish sixth, followed by Rolfe, Quinny Welch, Brent Dragon, and Luke Hinkley completing the top ten.
The race was slowed by seven cautions, the first of which was a multi-car wreck when Glen Luce and Jamie Fisher spun in front of the field with no laps complete. The race was completed in 1:13:26, and 19 cars finished on the lead lap. All 34 ACT Late Models in attendance started the feature event.
Wayne Helliwell Jr. earned himself an invite to the ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on September 22, 2012 with his win in the Spring Green 112. He joins Brian Hoar as the first two Invitational invitees to date.
The American Canadian Tour has next weekend off, but will be back in action at Oxford Plains Speedway in Oxford Maine on May 20, 2012 for the Oxford 150.
The Fox 101.5 Spring Green 112 Unofficial Results
American Canadian Tour
Devil’s Bowl Speedway – West Haven, VT
Sunday, May 6, 2012
Pos. (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps Completed
1. (3) Wayne Helliwell Jr., Dover, NH, 112 Laps
2. (10) Joey Polewarczyk Jr., Hudson, NH, 112 Laps
3. (20) Austin Theriault, Fort Kent, ME, 112 Laps
4. (14) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 112 Laps
5. (7) Randy Potter, Groveton, NH, 112 Laps
6. (22) Eric Williams, Hyde Park, VT, 112 Laps
7. (4) Ricky Rolfe, Albany Twp, ME, 112 Laps
8. (16) Quinten Welch, Lancaster, NH, 112 Laps
9. (11) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 112 Laps
10. (12) Luke Hinkley, Claremont, NH, 112 Laps
11. (21) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 112 Laps
12. (6) Nick Sweet, Barre, VT, 112 Laps
13. (9) Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT, 112 Laps
14. (18) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, VT, 112 Laps
15. (1) Todd Davis, Claremont, NH, 112 Laps
16. (5) Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, NY, 112 Laps
17. (15) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, MA, 112 Laps
18. (17) Joey Becker, Jeffersonville, VT, 112 Laps
19. (8) Glen Luce, Turner, ME, 112 Laps
20. (2) Craig Bushey, Fairfax, VT, 111 Laps
21. (31) Travis Fadden, North Haverhill, NH, 111 Laps
22. (25) #Jimmy Hebert, Williamstown, VT, 111 Laps
23. (28) Todd Patnode, Richmond, NH, 111 Laps
24. (23) James Linardy, Somerville, MA, 111 Laps
25. (30) Bruce Jaycox, Hartland, VT, 111 Laps
26. (26) Derek Lynch, Warkworth, ON, 111 Laps
27. (27) Hunter Bates, Pittsford, VT, 111 Laps
28. (34) Jeffrey Labrecque Jr., Rochester, NH, 110 Laps
29. (33) Spencer MacPherson, Carleton Place, ON, 110 Laps
30. (29) Ben Ashline, Pittston, ME, 56 Laps
31. (24) Claude Leclerc, Lanoraie, QC, 31 Laps
32. (19) Rowland Robinson, Jr., Birch Harbor, ME, 28 Laps
33. (13) Eric Chase, Milton, VT, 21 Laps
34. (32) #Daniel Petronis II, Mechanicville, NY, 0 Laps
Lap Leaders: Craig Bushey (1), Ricky Rolfe (2-28), Nick Sweet (29-31), Randy Potter (32-49), Joey Polewarczyk Jr. (50-57), Wayne Helliwell Jr. (58-112)
Time of Race: 1:13:26
Margin of Victory: .191 seconds
Cautions: 7 (Lap 0, 28, 31, 49, 49, 57, 98)
Heat Winners: Eric Chase, Joey Polewarczyk Jr, Brent Dragon
Consi Winners: Craig Bushey, Glen Luce
B-Feature Winner: Jimmy Hebert