Brian Hoar Wins ACT Season Opener at Lee
Seven-time American Canadian Tour Champion Brian Hoar of Williston, VT used patience to win the season opening NH Governor’s Cup 150 at Lee USA Speedway in Lee, NH, his 29th career ACT win. Hoar began the race in the 18th starting position after winning his heat race but earning a 0 in the ACT Plus/Minus handicap system. The veteran moved through the field and ran just outside the top five while saving his tires and his car for a late race run to the front and the win.
Colchester, VT’s Scott Dragon started on the pole and led all but 1 of the first 116 laps while battling with Groveton, NH’s Randy Potter and St-Felicien, QC’s Karl Allard early in the race. Multi-time Lee USA Speedway Champion Wayne Helliwell, Jr. was also in the mix running as high as second.
Hoar and Graniteville’s John Donahue seemingly came from nowhere after the final caution on lap 115 to make a run to the front. Hoar took the win while Donahue inherited the runner-up position after apparent second place finisher Brad Babb, a sophomore driver from Windham, ME, was penalized to the last car on the lead lap (9th) for using an unregistered tire.
Fulton Mountain of Barrington, NH would claim third, Helliwell held on for fourth and Scott Dragon faded to fifth late. Potter, sophomore driver Austin Theriault, Allard, Babb, and Mark Lamberton completed the top ten.
Milton, VT’s Brent Dragon managed an eleventh place finish after being involved in an accident with Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. of Hudson, NH and Craig Bushey of Fairfax, VT on lap 46. Polewarczyk and Bushey would retire from the event and settle for 26th and 24th respectively.
The event was completed in one hour and sixteen minutes with seven cautions. Nine cars finished on the lead lap. Hoar becomes the first qualifier for the third annual ACT Invitational at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, NH on Saturday, September 24.
The American Canadian Tour continues its 2011 season on Sunday, May 1 with the 13th annual Merchants Bank 150 at Barre, VT’s Thunder Road International Speedbowl.
NH Governor’s Cup 150
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Finish (Start) Driver, Hometown, Laps
1. (18) Brian Hoar, Williston, VT, 150 Laps
2. (25) John Donahue, Graniteville, VT, 150 Laps
3. (16) Fulton Mountain, Barrington, NH, 150 Laps
4. (8) Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Dover, NH, 150 Laps
5. (1) Scott Dragon, Colchester, VT, 150 Laps
6. (2) Randy Potter, Groveton, NH, 150 Laps
7. (23) Austin Theriault, Fort Kent, ME, 150 Laps
8. (5) Karl Allard, Quebec, QC, 150 Laps
9. (30) Brad Babb, Windham, ME, 150 Laps
10. (22) Mark Lamberton, Mooers Forks, NY, 149 Laps
11. (4) Brent Dragon, Milton, VT, 149 Laps
12. (24) Jamie Fisher, Shelburne, VT, 149 Laps
13. (20) Rick Thompson, Jay, VT, 149 Laps
14. (3) Shawn Martin, Turner, ME, 148 Laps
15. (28) Dennis Spencer, Jr., Oxford, ME, 148 Laps
16. (15) Mike Bruno, Rutland, VT, 148 Laps
17. (12) Travis Stearns, Auburn, ME, 148 Laps
18. (27) Ray Parent, Tiverton, RI, 146 Laps
19. (19) Joey Laquerre, E. Montpelier, VT, 143 Laps
20. (11) Jimmy Cormier, Princeville, QC, 115 Laps
21. (14) Pat Floyd, Chester, NH, 101 Laps
22. (13) Chip Grenier, Graniteville, VT, 99 Laps
23. (10) Jean-Paul Cyr, Milton, VT, 76 Laps
24. (6) Craig Bushey, Fairfax, VT, 46 Laps
25. (26) Donald Theetge, Quebec, QC, 46 Laps
26. (17) Joey Polewarczyk, Jr., Hudson, NH, 46 Laps
27. (7) Ricky Rolfe, Albany Twp., ME, 44 Laps
28. (9) Aaron Fellows, Croydon, NH, 40 Laps
29. (29) #Dave Farrington, Jr., Jay, ME, 9 Laps
30. (21) Bobby Baillargeon, Kingston, NH, 3 Laps
Time of Race: 1:16:19
Margin of Victory: .319 sec.
Cautions: 7 (laps 3, 9, 18, 28, 44, 46, 115)
Leaders: Scott Dragon, 1-18; Randy Potter, 19; Dragon, 20-116; Brian Hoar, 117-150
Heat Winners: Jimmy Cormier, Pat Floyd, Brian Hoar, Travis Stearns